Konaka is original architectural monument of local importance. It is located in the central part of Vidin - Vidin 2 "Obstinska" street. In front of it there is a resting park area.
The building was established in the second half of the 18th century. Initially, the Turks used it as a police, and in the 70s of the 19th century it was given to the Bulgarian church community. After the liberation it was house to Vidin Municipality. It has two floors, but because of the many changes is not retained much elements of its original form. Since 1956 it was converted into a museum, which traces the history of Vidin from ancient times until the Liberation.
The building was substantially modified in the process of historical development. Originally it was probably one-floor with passageways in two directions intersecting at right angle in the middle. In its central part was rising tower-shaped premise - a watchtower of fire protection. After the Liberation it was reconstructed, as inside are inserted elements of Bulgarian National Revival architecture
In 1956 the building was turned into museum. Today, there are exposures of the Regional Historical Museum in Vidin in archeology and history of Bulgaria XV-XIX century.
Pre-history department displays rock paintings from the Magura Cave occupied by hunters as early as the early Bronze Age (2000 BC) and during the early Iron Age (1000 BC). The late Bronze Age (1500-1200 BC) is represented by a rich collection of articles that have been found near the present village of Balei - tools of production and jewelry, a great variety of inlaid pottery and cult articles.
Antique department is represented by rich and various collections of articles from the big Roman cities Ratiaria (modern village of Archar), Bononia (Vidin) and the Roman castle Kastra martis (the town of Kula). A large collection of stone plastic art is kept here - richly decorated Roman sarcophagi, tomb stones and votive tablets, statues among them is the famous marble statue "The resting Heracles" (2nd century, Archar).
The abundance of antique collections of pottery, clay lamps, jewelry, and household articles is complemented by the rich collection of Roman republican and emperor coins. The unique floor mosaic found in a suburban villa near Ratiaria (3rd c).
The period of Middle Ages is represented by exhibits illustrating the economic and military life of Bdin. The displayed articles - ceramic material, metal plastic art items, coins, various tools and appliances as well as sgraffito type impressive table ceramics (13th-14th century) were found mainly during the archeological survey of Baba Vida castle. The trade relations of Bdin Feudal Kingdom are shown by the copy of the Diploma of Brashov and numismatic finds and the most significant of them - the silver coins of Tsar Ivan Stratsimir (1352-1397 ).
The mediaeval culture centers - Albotinski monastery (village of Gradets, (13th-14th century), the church in the village of Dolna Kamenitsa (now in Serbia), the church of Rakovishki monastery (17th century), as well as the Literary School of Bdin, represented by the facsimiles of Bdinski Sbornik (Bdin collection) from 1360 had been documented.