Kladovo is located in the area called ‘’Kljuc’’ in the southeasternmost part of the country, and is the farthest eastern point towards Bulgaria and Romania
Old town Fetislam in Kladovo is categorized as a cultural monument of great importance.
According to historical sources and archaeological data Fetislam fortress most likely originated on the foundations of an ancient fortress, namely medieval Novigrad. It consists of two entities which came to existence in a span of almost two centuries. MALI GRAD is a Turkish fortress built 1524 at the time of Suleiman the Magnificent, "in order to serve as a starting point for the conquest of Severin and other Erdelj towns, for attacks against Hungary and the penetration towards Central Europe". It is a small artillery fort of rectangular shape, with a massive stone and brick – built ramparts, round towers at the corners and a moat on three sides while with its fourth side it is situated on the very bank of the Danube...
VELIKO UTVRDJENJE (BIG FORTRESS) was built in the early eighteenth century (1717-1739) around the small town according to the system of bastion fortresses. It covers an area of 17 hectares, 19 ares and 99 square meters of irregular, elongated base with approximate dimensions of 480 x 260m. There are six large bastions connected by massive ramparts of unequal length built by semi-processed and processed stone. Veliki grad itself had a water moat on three sides and a powerful rampart on the fourth side on the bank of the Danube. By means of wooden bridges, through two main gates on land, one could enter the interior of Veliki Grad which mostly contained military facilities for accommodation of the crew, ammunition and weapons as well as auxiliary and other facilities necessary for life of the crew.
Small fort, castle, was built at the highest point, and is incorporated in the rampart of Great fortress. Its walls are reinforced with circular towers four meters high and symmetrically placed triangular and rectangular bastions. The walls are surrounded by a trench. Its interior mostly contains military facilities.
Over time, Fetislam acquired some new contents which mainly originated in the 1970s and 1980s, when a comprehensive program of protection and revitalization of the complex was implemented. In Mali grad an outdoor theater was built while in the western sector of Veliki grad two modern football fields and courts for small sports were constructed. In the underground passages near Varos gate there is a refurbished restaurant with a large summer garden in the front and all of the open surfaces are soft and hard landscaped, with new streets and lighting. All necessary works on static rehabilitation and protection of the Danube gates and walls from the backwater of the Danube due to the construction of HEPP Djerdap 2 have been carried out. A part of the space in the eastern sector of Veliki grad was going to be flooded so that filling up with soil to a new dry level was carried out. Previously, three major military facilities were removed (armory - "Tophana’’, barracks and powder-room), and their underlying walls are under the mound.
There are three main routes which connect Kladovo, namely Fetislam with Serbia hinterland:
from Belgrade ( 260 kilometers) via Pozarevac, V. Gradiste and Donji Milanovac down the Dunavska magistrala road;
from Paracin ( 200 kilometers), connection with the highway Belgrade - Nis, via mountain pass Cestobrodica , Zajecar and Negotin
from Nis, (around 200 kilometers), via another mountain pass Tresibaba, Knjaževac, Zajecar and Negotin.